Fear behind the wheel By LeighAnn Wolle


Sophomore year is the most awkward of the high school grades.
You don’t get picked on like the freshman, yet you’re not an upperclassman. You can’t go to prom on your own and you’re most likely not yet a varsity athlete.

There’s at least one good thing about the second year of high school — for most people, anyway. Most of us are eligible to get our driver’s licenses during sophomore year.
Though most of my friends can’t wait, I am scared to get my license.

I keep watching as more of my classmates find themselves behind the wheel without an instructor.
Brandon Clark, a sophomore at Pleasant Plains High School got his license a few weeks ago.
“I was excited because I would finally be able to drive on my own. Because of my license, I don’t have to rely on parents or other people to drive me where I need to go,” Brandon said.
Brandon said he “personally (can’t see) a downside to having a license. The only problem I can think of is that some parents make their kids pay for gas, but luckily this problem doesn’t affect me.”

I’m not all that eager to join Brandon and get a license. For me, the only thing that seems exciting is the ability to take myself places.
I don’t like driving. I get nervous around other drivers and forget the rules, and I am scared my mind will completely blank during the test.

I am a very unsure driver, and one of my many driving fears is that the test director will sense that and try to freak me out. I have no confidence behind the wheel.
Some teens say getting a license is pointless because they don’t have cars. I can’t use this excuse. I have a 2010 red Volkswagen Beetle and I love it.
I just don’t love driving it.

Although I am nervous and dislike driving now, I hope I’ll be ready to drive by my birthday, which is coming soon.
Brandon provided some encouragement.
“The best part of having my license is the freedom. I can finally go where I want, when I want,” he said.
I hope that feeling will soon outweigh my fear.

LeighAnn Wolle is a sophomore at Pleasant Plains High School.